Summer Internships 2015

Sun-soaked postcards from Bryn Mawr students

A Postcard From: Emily Xiong ’16

dsc_0435Name: Emily Xiong

Internship Placement: Center for Strategic and International Studies. I will help with the multimedia branch of the ideas lab to help with the media exposure of panels and studio interviews.

What’s happening? We’d love to hear how your internship is going!

I’m interning for Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington, D.C. I’m working for the ideas lab of the External Relations department. CSIS holds a lot of different panels and discussions among the top leaders in the states and the world on varies of different fields in foreign relations, military, health, media, and technology. To quote CSIS’ president Dr. Hamre, “a think tank is a university without students;” because of my department, I got the opportunity to hear the panels from the top experts almost every day. Thanks to the size of the company, I also have the opportunity to get to know my amazing peers from other colleges in the U.S. and even throughout the world, who are all passionate about different branches of foreign policy or policy making processes.

How I heard about my internship:

In my past internship for Think Tank and Civil Society Program, I learned about CSIS’s open internship opportunities from my group leader: she informed us of the opportunity. Also CSIS’ official website csis.org has specific information and application guidelines that help as well.

Why I applied for my internship:

My previous internship at TTCSP let me understand that CSIS is an amazing organization where one could get insight on how a top think tank runs and get to know some amazing peers and listen to the wisdom of some top experts who probably had shaped the course of world’s policy making history. As a political science major, nothing could be better than listening to those great panels on hot debates and headline-occupying issues from the top experts behind the camera for the entire summer. While working for ideas lab, a relatively technical department in this brainy organization, I also got to hone my technical skills on film and video making and learn from some great professionals top in the field.