Summer Internships 2015

Sun-soaked postcards from Bryn Mawr students

A Postcard From: Bara’ Almomani ’16

screen_shot_20150617_at_5.45.58_pmName: Bara’ Almomani

Internship Placement: I’m interning at Qasr Shabeeb Hospital in Jordan. I’m currently giving health sessions to students while shadowing physicians at the hospital and observing their tactics.

What’s happening? We’d love to hear how your internship is going!

My internship is at one of the rural hospitals in Jordan. As a resident in Amman, I make a one-hour drive daily to reach my destination. Driving for an hour to reach somewhere in Jordan is definitely out of the ordinary! I am currently shadowing physicians throughout the hospital and teaching young kids about healthcare. The past few weeks have been an eye opening experience at how physicians aim to provide healthcare in financially difficult situations with differing cultural values.

Why I applied for my internship:

I am on the pre-medical track so I wanted to have a more hands-on experience in medicine this summer. It’s definitely different from anywhere else, the physicians were excited to have an intern and were open to my suggestions and explained the purpose behind every procedure they made. The other part of my internship, teaching about health care, was very satisfying as well as the kids were receptive to what they learned and worked great as a group.