Summer Internships 2015

Sun-soaked postcards from Bryn Mawr students

A Postcard From: Jingling Li ’17

IMG_20150725_152851772Name: Jingling Li

Internship Placement: I am working at California Institute of Technology as a student researcher this summer. I am working on domain adaptation problems on astronomical datasets, which is a subarea of machine learning.

What’s happening? We’d love to hear how your internship is going!

This summer, I am working on a domain adaptation project for astronomical objects at California Institute of Technology. It is a totally different experience for me both geologically and academically. I really enjoy the culture and weather in California and at the same time, I also get the opportunity to comprehend the beauty of the universe from the astronomical aspect. It is exciting to have hands-on observation experience and I cannot forget how amazing and shinning the sky is after the sunset. Being able to know where the data I am working on comes from also helps me to understand the problem well. Therefore, I am very appreciated for the kindness and support from my mentor (Dr. Mahabal) this summer. If possible, I hope to carry on the research beyond this summer.

View from the outside walk around the 200-inch telescope at Palomar Observatory.