Summer Internships 2015

Sun-soaked postcards from Bryn Mawr students

A Postcard From: Maddie Mark ’17

image11Name: Maddie Mark

Internship Placement: Moda Operandi is an online luxury fashion retailer that allows customers to preorder high-end apparel directly from designers, and offers access to designer pieces that are not available in traditional luxury retail stores. Based in the corporate offices in New York City, I am working in the Moda Operandi Marketing Department. My duties are split between two aspects of the marketing division’s initiatives; editorial marketing for the site (which includes [curating looks and stories for the site, and online visual merchandising]) and completing data analytics for the Customer Relationship Management (CRM) division of the company.

What’s happening? We’d love to hear how your internship is going!:

The summer’s going great! I’m interning in the marketing department at Moda Operandi’s NYC headquarters, with a focus on the elements that make up the company’s dynamic visual web merchandising presence. In particular, I’ve been charged with helping to create revolving editorial looks for their e-commerce website. I’ve really connected with this element of the business, which involves both “imagining” and then technically producing individual fashion “vignettes” that feature a particular product or line that the company wants to highlight in order to drive sales. I assemble images of these featured items and then create a variety of curated ensembles using additional pieces from related collections and complementary accessories. Although this exercise has a highly creative aspect, I am also responsible for staying current on the life cycle of each item and trying to create mini collections that both represent the Moda Operandi brand and also yield the desired sales results.

Last summer I had the privilege of interning with the renowned fashion designer/house, Carolina Herrera. Very traditional in both aesthetic and company structure, outward appearances and a high level of formality were a priority within this work environment. Details such as dress code, strict rules regarding appropriate areas to eat lunch, and keeping an impeccable desk at all times were deeply ingrained in the organization’s culture. This summer I have replaced heels with sneakers or flats, and being able to eat lunch or a snack at one’s desk is commonplace. The look and feel of the office is causal and instead of the standard office cubicles, Moda Operandi’s setup is open and expansive. The majority of the employees work in the center of the office with the executive offices on the outside. This physical layout fosters a very collaborative environment and also supports the rapid-fire demands of the e-commerce company. Along with the physical setup of the office, the nature of a tech driven business also promotes a much more innovative and fast paced environment than a traditional designer, especially in regard to planning strategies and response implementation during the high-stakes fashion weeks.

This summer is turning out to be the ideal melding of my previous internships with my current experience at Moda Operandi. My first internship at Seattle based e-commerce company, zulily, followed by an invaluable stint at the luxury fashion house of Carolina Herrera, were instrumental in preparing me to take full advantage of my current internship at Moda Operandi. Combining my background in the explosive, fast-growing, start-up e-commerce business at zulily, with the thoughtful and carefully crafted traditions of Carolina Herrera’s iconic couture brand has provided me with a strong foundation and realistic perspective on the business that drives the fashion industry. I’m grateful for all the elements that have led up to my summer here at Moda Operandi; a summer that has not only been incredibly rewarding but also allowed me to feel that I have added value to the organization.