Summer Internships 2015

Sun-soaked postcards from Bryn Mawr students

A Postcard From: Haley Humphus ’17

2Name: Haley Humphus

Internship Placement: I am working with the Weavers Way Community Program as a communications intern where I will be taking photos, working on social media, conducting interviews, and creating a few short videos for the website.

What’s happening? We’d love to hear how your internship is going.

This summer I am participating in Bryn Mawr’s Summer of Service, a program hosted by Civic Engagement that promotes volunteering and activism for ten students. Through this program, I have been working as the communications intern at Weavers Way Community Programs (WWCP). This a non-profit organization that provides horticultural therapy to autistic and urban high school students, as well as nutrition and cooking skills to the emergency housing facility, Stenton Family Manor. In addition to site visits and office work, my job has been researching best social media practices, conducting participant interviews, creating participant profiles, and cleaning up the database.

I applied to be a part of Summer of Service’s Cohort because I wanted to be surrounded by service oriented students that would push me to grow as a service leader. Every week I’ve looked forward to our reflection dinners where we all come together to check in about how are internships are going. Another added bonus for being a part of this year’s cohort is that transportation is provided through monthly SEPTA passes. During this school year, with work study and classwork, I hadn’t been able to explore Philadelphia as much as I wanted. Because of the extra time and the unlimited SEPTA rides, I have become better acquainted with Philly and feel more confident in my navigation abilities.

Untitled

As for WWCP, I applied for the communications internship because I was drawn to their mission. Food insecurity has been an interest of mine for a while so I was very interested in the idea that urban agriculture can reduce the number of food insecure families. In addition to learning about non-profit management, I have learned so many new things! One week, I was able to sit in on one of the cooking classes and learn how to make a quick and easy stovetop pizza from scratch. I’ve also tried a bunch of new fruits and vegetables like fresh mustard greens, ground cherries, and turnips. Overall, this summer has been better than I could have ever expected!